Thursday, May 20, 2010

"In a New Light"

8"x10"
acrylic on hardboard
I have driven past this building for most of my life. It stood as a marker of sorts, sitting off a long stretch of road between my grandmother's house and the closest town. I really never gave much thought to the building until the last time I drove that way. Unlike all of the other times it was night. I was returning home in the middle of the night and for the first time ever, I think I actually SAW the building. I wondered what it was like in its hay day? Did it even have a hay day or was it an business that never took off? I wondered was it a cafe, restaurant, or store of some sort? Was it even functioning as a business at all or was it now just someones house? The one thing I was certain of was that it was incredible the way it was lit up and glowing on the side of a dark Texas road.
SOLD

9 comments:

V Bridges Hoyt said...

Felicia, you've captured the light on this old building perfectly and made it shine! This is a lovely painting.
Vernita

Jarrod said...

Stunning.

JEANNE ILLENYE said...

FANTASTIC!!! Great drama! What a surprise! Jeanne

SarahBowie said...

Wonderful story and terrific painting.

C. Ousley said...

Great work!

Virginia Floyd said...

Very nice. When I see an old abandoned building, I think about the person who owned the little store. It was someone's dream at one time. Maybe he supported his family with the business and they are all grown now and moved away.

mariapacewynters said...

wow, this amazing!

Jonelle Summerfield said...

Love it! The building actually reminds me of the buildings near my own grandmother's house in Pennsylvania.

Camille LaRue Olsen said...

I am really glad to have found your blog. The quality of your work is consistent and it's not just that it looks good, it has heart and a nice surprise element. Not everyone manages this!