Skip to main content

"The Carousel"

6x6
Acrylic on Masonite
I am usually one to question our fascination with circuses, parades, and carnivals, but I have always been attracted to carousels. If you think about it, spending time going around in circles is usually something we try to avoid in life. Still here I find myself in love with the ornate animals and benches of a carousel. I was however disappointed with this carnival’s lack of attention to details. No nostalgic moments here. This carnival had been down graded to cheaper and cleaner plastic with no attention to details. I was left with the feeling of just having enough, none thing extra. Oh well that’s progress, I guess.
On a more positive note I did get a a great day out with the family, a little bit of sun, and a great painting from this experience.


Comments

Anonymous said…
As I look at this my attention is drawn to the face of the horse, which looks detached and contemplative, its very interesting.

Popular posts from this blog

"In a New Light"

8"x10" acrylic on hardboard I have driven past this building for most of my life. It stood as a marker of sorts, sitting off a long stretch of road between my grandmother's house and the closest town. I really never gave much thought to the building until the last time I drove that way. Unlike all of the other times it was night. I was returning home in the middle of the night and for the first time ever, I think I actually SAW the building. I wondered what it was like in its hay day? Did it even have a hay day or was it an business that never took off? I wondered was it a cafe, restaurant, or store of some sort? Was it even functioning as a business at all or was it now just someones house? The one thing I was certain of was that it was incredible the way it was lit up and glowing on the side of a dark Texas road. SOLD

Attitude in Paint

 11x14 acrylic on hardboard This painting was inspired by a visit my daughter and I took to the art museum, our last one before everything changed. The museum has played a significant role in my life. As a young artist, I attended programs and workshops there. Later, as a teacher, I brought my students to experience the same. I even helped many of them build portfolios to apply for the museum’s scholarship opportunities. And, of course, I brought my own kids, hoping to pass on a love for art and creativity. On this particular visit, I decided to take a grown-up step and support the museum the way it had supported me.   I purchased a yearly membership. Ironically, we never got to use the rest of the membership because... COVID. Still, we had a wonderful day. After exploring the exhibits, we capped it off with lunch at an art-themed restaurant. Although my daughter isn’t an artist herself, she has a genuine appreciation for art, which means a lot to me. At the end of o...

"Rose Colored Glasses"

8"x 10" acrylic on hardboard I enjoy working with portraits.  No big surprise I know.      I thought I was being adventurous with a blue background.  Blue isn't a color I would have naturally chosen for the back, I'm more of an earth tone or neutral kind of girl.  This painting taught me a lot.  I generally think in layers when I am painting.  In order to get the eyes to look correct, I had to layered values and colors like I've never done before.  The eyes have about six layers of paint and gloss medium on them.