Skip to main content

"Mr. Personality"

8"x10"
acrylic on hardboard
I'm not sure how most painters work, but I can usually look at an image and paint it in my head with no problem at all. This portrait began that way, but three fourths of the way through it I just wanted to scrap the entire thing and start over. He has such a great expressive face, but I couldn't get the eyes and literally debated with myself daily over getting the eyes or starting over. Luckily I don't give up easily because in the end I can look at this beautiful portrait and know that my patience and persistence paid off. I had a lot of fun with the hair and learned a lot about painting freckles which was my first time painting. The trick is to be subtle. Not for sale.

Comments

Alice Thompson said…
Felicia, I first noticed your work a while back on the dailypainters site when you posted a portrait of a little girl holding a jack o lantern. Those warm orange highlights reflecting on her skin cught my eye. I'd like to invite you to participate in a new monthly painting challenge for fine artist. You'll find the link posted in the upper right hand corner of my Blog. It would be great to have an ex Art Teacher with your unique style in the mix.
-Alice
joanieART said…
Brilliant, oh that expression....just takes my breath away.
I love the expression. It's very fun and one of a kind.

Popular posts from this blog

"In a New Light"

8"x10" acrylic on hardboard I have driven past this building for most of my life. It stood as a marker of sorts, sitting off a long stretch of road between my grandmother's house and the closest town. I really never gave much thought to the building until the last time I drove that way. Unlike all of the other times it was night. I was returning home in the middle of the night and for the first time ever, I think I actually SAW the building. I wondered what it was like in its hay day? Did it even have a hay day or was it an business that never took off? I wondered was it a cafe, restaurant, or store of some sort? Was it even functioning as a business at all or was it now just someones house? The one thing I was certain of was that it was incredible the way it was lit up and glowing on the side of a dark Texas road. SOLD

Attitude in Paint

 11x14 acrylic on hardboard This painting was inspired by a visit my daughter and I took to the art museum, our last one before everything changed. The museum has played a significant role in my life. As a young artist, I attended programs and workshops there. Later, as a teacher, I brought my students to experience the same. I even helped many of them build portfolios to apply for the museum’s scholarship opportunities. And, of course, I brought my own kids, hoping to pass on a love for art and creativity. On this particular visit, I decided to take a grown-up step and support the museum the way it had supported me.   I purchased a yearly membership. Ironically, we never got to use the rest of the membership because... COVID. Still, we had a wonderful day. After exploring the exhibits, we capped it off with lunch at an art-themed restaurant. Although my daughter isn’t an artist herself, she has a genuine appreciation for art, which means a lot to me. At the end of o...

"Rose Colored Glasses"

8"x 10" acrylic on hardboard I enjoy working with portraits.  No big surprise I know.      I thought I was being adventurous with a blue background.  Blue isn't a color I would have naturally chosen for the back, I'm more of an earth tone or neutral kind of girl.  This painting taught me a lot.  I generally think in layers when I am painting.  In order to get the eyes to look correct, I had to layered values and colors like I've never done before.  The eyes have about six layers of paint and gloss medium on them.